Page 1: Participant Information Sheet
I am a fourth year Psychology student working on my bachelor dissertation, for which you have been asked to complete the following survey. The study is going to investigate the relationship between autistic traits and depressive symptoms. Autistic traits are known to be related to depressive symptoms and I am going to examine this relationship together with the need to belong and the sense of belonging to groups. Anyone aged 18 or above from the UK, USA or Finland is eligible to participate.
- Your participation in this study is completely voluntary and you may withdraw at any point by closing the browser.
- Data will be collected anonymously and stored confidentially with only three people having access to it, including myself and my two supervisors.
- The data obtained will be stored indefinitely, in case it needs to be re-analysed in the future.
- Since the data is collected anonymously, you will not be able to remove or edit your answers after finishing the survey.
- No participants will be identifiable from the obtained results and the results will be analysed in terms of groups.
- Since you will be asked about symptoms of depression and social anxiety, there is a small risk involved. Answering to questions on these sensitive topics could make you feel upset. For this reason in the beginning and at the end of the survey, there will be contact details for national organizations in your country, if you wish to talk about the answers you have given or seek support.
- The research would benefit from you answering all the questions, but do feel free to leave questions blank if you feel uncomfortable filling them out.
- The following study is part of a final year project that is being done by a fourth year psychology student at University of Dundee.
- The project has received an ethical approval from University of Dundee Research Ethics Committee (UREC) at University of Dundee.
- If you have any questions regarding this project please do not hesitate to contact me via email: email@example.com. If you wish to contact my supervisor you can do so by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read carefully the following agreement and press next if you are ready to fill out the questionnaire.
- I have read and understood the Participant Information Sheet.
- I have been given contact details if I wanted to ask about anything related to the project.
- I understand that all information will remain confidential and all the efforts will be made to ensure none of the participants can be identified.
- I agree that data obtained will be store anonymously.
- I agree that my involvement in this study is completely voluntary and I may withdraw at any point.
- I understand that the study might involve risk and I can confirm that if I feel uncomfortable I could seek help from recommended organizations.
- I agree to take part in this study.
Completing the questionnaire should take no more than 15 minutes of your time.
If you are experiencing emotional distress, or would like to discuss your answers on this questionnaire anonymously, you are encouraged to contact Samaritans using the following number 116 123. If you feel that more help is needed, you can visit your local GP for further advice. They could refer you to a specialist who can help you with dealing with your emotions.